Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Keeping Packing Organized


As you all know, we are planning to scale down and live in a camper soon. So I have been working on sorting, purging, and storing items from our house to get ready for the downsize. This week I have been working on storing items that I do not need everyday but that I plan on keeping. I started with keepsakes and heirloom china and I am working my way through the house, packing things and organizing them.

I have a horrible memory so I always have to come up with systems to easily find things. Granted though, I don't think many people can remember what's in a cardboard box after it's been stored for a long time. That's why I decided to share with you my system to keep track of where my items are.

This system works for storing items or packing for a move. The purpose is to keep track of what is in each box and have the box marked by the type of items that are packed or what room it is to be put into when moved into your new home.


Here is how you can do it!


Start with lots of empty boxes of different sizes, heavy duty packing tape, a permanent marker, index cards, a pen, and bubble wrap for fragile items. 

Gather all the items you wish to pack and group into like categories. I separate by type or area. For example: I have categories like keepsakes, living room, kitchen, bedroom, clothes, linens, etc.



Pack items into each box, making sure to protect them and prevent them from shifting.

Once each box is full of like items, list out each item in the box on an index card. For example: keepsakes like heirlooms and sentimental items are listed on a card and marked with the same letters and numbers as the box. Keepsakes = KS then list the number of the corresponding box - KS1, KS2, KS3, etc. Other boxes can be marked LR = living room, KN = kitchen, BD = bedroom, BR = bathroom, CL = clothes, etc. Once you fill a box and have box #1, the next box is obviously box #2. This way you know where your box goes at a glance but you have detailed lists of each item in the boxes.



Mark the box with the same code as the list and mark also if fragile.


We will end up having to store some items while we live in a camper so I want to be sure everything is safe and sound, and if I ever need anything, I don't have to open each box up looking for it. I can just keep my card catalog in a safe place and refer to it if I need to find an item. So how do you stay organized when you are packing?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and share with me your journey to natural living. Any tips and suggestions are welcomed. If any posts are of an inappropriate nature not suitable for children to read, they will be removed promptly. Also, please do not spam or post links unless related to topic. You may share your blog address. Thank you.