Wednesday, February 26, 2014

How to Clean Your Oven Without Chemicals



Ever since I stopped using chemicals in my home, I wondered how I could clean my oven. Most oven cleaners are loaded with chemicals. You aren't supposed to inhale the fumes, so why would you want to clean your oven (that cooks your food!) with them? Well I found a natural alternative to get that oven clean!

I have an oven with a setting to clean itself but when I tried it, I just ended up with more burnt on crust to be honest. I also had more splatter-like, cooked on grime in my oven. That stuff didn't burn off with the self-cleaning function. I had to do some research to try and find out how to lean it naturally and found out it only takes two ingredients. Just for full disclosure, here is my before picture:


Now I honestly didn't think it looked too horrible. I use a drip pan in the bottom which I took out before this picture. THAT was the worst part. I will just replace the pan anyways, but if you have grime at the bottom, this technique can help you too, it just might take more time.

All it took was BAKING SODA and VINEGAR mixed with water. Yes, I just said baking soda and vinegar. They are two of the most awesome cleaning agents for your home, all natural and non-toxic! As I prepare to clean my home for putting it on the market, these are my go-to ingredients for awesome cleaning.

All I did was sprinkle baking soda liberally on the burn on scum then spray with a vinegar and water mixture. That made it sizzle and after a couple minutes, I just scrubbed with the scouring side of a kitchen sponge. When I scrubbed all I could, I wiped it down with a wet and then dry cloth.

Here is the finished product after some elbow grease:


It's all nice and shiny now! I also took the racks out and scrubbed them with soap and steel wool. They weren't even silver when I started because they were so coated in grime. This took me about 45 minutes from start to finish so I got my arm workout in for the day.

It may take a little time and effort, but cleaning your home without chemicals is better for you and your family. Look for more cleaning and organizing tips in the next couple weeks as we prepare to sell the house!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and share with me your journey to natural living. Any tips and suggestions are welcomed. If any posts are of an inappropriate nature not suitable for children to read, they will be removed promptly. Also, please do not spam or post links unless related to topic. You may share your blog address. Thank you.