Monday, January 13, 2014

Turning a Coffee Can into a Pot for Plants



Today I wanted to show you how to easily and quickly repurpose an old coffee can by turning it into a pot for a plant.  I did this a few months ago one morning really early in the morning before work.  I accidentally broke a plastic pot I had when I was watering my indoor plants.  It caused the plant and all the soil to fall on the floor, making a huge mess.

I didn't have another pot but I needed to do something for this plant.  I noticed that I had an empty coffee can that I had saved to try and recycle.  It was the perfect size!  I had to figure out how to turn it into a pretty pot so I searched my imagination for ideas and my house for materials.

First I removed the label around the coffee can. 

I used a long nail and a hammer to poke holes all in the bottom for good drainage. 

Being short on supplies I ended up using colored plastic wrap I had in my pantry to cover the outside and it actually looks pretty good. 

I put paper towels around the edge to keep from getting dirt all over the outside.
 

Then I filled it in with the soil I gathered up off the floor and repotted my plant. 
 
I set it on a plastic plate I already had to catch to water that drains out of it. 
 
This was very simple and I only used items I had on hand, also doing my own repurposing.  This is something you can do to repurpose an empty coffee can or just a cheap alternative to buying pots.  What do you think?  Leave your comments below!
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and share with me your journey to natural living. Any tips and suggestions are welcomed. If any posts are of an inappropriate nature not suitable for children to read, they will be removed promptly. Also, please do not spam or post links unless related to topic. You may share your blog address. Thank you.