Friday, January 10, 2014

Mushroom Rice Pilaf


Last night I tried a new recipe and I think it was awesome so I decided to share it with you guys.  It’s a made-from-scratch recipe that doesn’t require a lot of hands-on time if you have a food processor.  It had good flavor and was very filling.  It fits the vegan diet I am trying for 21 days but it can also make a great side dish for regular family meal.  It’s also budget friendly...about $2.00 per serving AND it’s all organic! 

Here it is:

1 Tbsp. organic oil (I used avocado oil)
1 medium organic onion
3 stalks organic celery
4 organic carrots
8 ounces organic baby portabella mushrooms, sliced
2 cups organic brown rice (soaked the night before)
4 cups organic, low sodium vegetable broth
Sea salt to taste

Serves 6

Heat the oil in a large skillet or pot on medium-high heat.  (I used a 5 quart pot so the rice had plenty of room to expand.)  Chop up the onion, celery, and carrots very fine.  (I used my Ninja food processor.)  Sauté these vegetables in the oil for a couple minutes until the aromas blend well. 

Add in the sliced mushrooms and continue to cook until tender. 

Add the rice and vegetable broth and salt to taste. 

Bring to a slight boil then the lower temperature to low-medium heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour.  (I checked mine at 45 minutes and the liquid was all absorbed.  The rice was a little chewy but I like it like that.)  Stir when all liquid is absorbed and serve.  (While it’s simmering, have a seat and read Natural Made Simple!)


There you have it.  A simple, all organic, vegan dish that the whole family will love!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and share with me your journey to natural living. Any tips and suggestions are welcomed. If any posts are of an inappropriate nature not suitable for children to read, they will be removed promptly. Also, please do not spam or post links unless related to topic. You may share your blog address. Thank you.