Friday, May 17, 2013

What's for Dinner?


The last few days I have really started to scrutinize where my money is going when it comes to food, so I decided to try and figure up the cost per serving of the meals that I make.  This week’s recipe is one for quinoa which until this week, I had never made nor even eaten.  I went online and looked up some good flavors that go together and just threw some together hoping it would be good.  I didn’t exactly measure the ingredients but they should be close to exact.


Homemade Quinoa (serves 4)

You will need:
  • 1 cup dry white quinoa (I got organic from my local health food store from the bulk bin)
  • 2 cups chicken stock (I had my own organic, homemade in the freezer)
  • 2 Tbsps. olive oil
  • 1 tsp. dried parsley
  • 1 Tbsp. dried basil
  • ¼ tsp. dried thyme
  • ¼ tsp. all natural sea salt
  • ¼ tsp. black pepper

What you do:
  • I’ve been reading that you are supposed to soak your grains and beans for at least 8-12 hours before cooking to help digestibility, but I threw this together quickly so I only had time to soak them for 15 minutes.  Drain and rinse the quinoa (you will need a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth in a colander).  Add the chicken stock and quinoa to a stockpot and bring to a boil.  Once boiling, reduce to medium-high heat and simmer uncovered for 12 minutes or until all the liquid has been absorbed.
  • While your quinoa is cooking, mix the olive oil, parsley, basil, thyme, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.  When your quinoa is finished cooking, stir this mixture in.  Serve while hot. 

With the quinoa I also served brussel sprouts cooked with a little real butter, collard greens cooked with a little bacon, and broiled salmon seasoned with Southern Chipotle Mrs. Dash.  It was really very simple to make this new side dish and combined with the other parts of the meal it only cost $3.30 per serving.  It was almost completely made with organic ingredients.  The total meal only took me about 35 minutes to cook plus the soaking time for the quinoa.

I hope you enjoy this new recipe as much as I did.  Please feel free to submit any recipes you’d like me to try and post for others to try.  (Use the email link to the right of the page.)  The idea is to make real food, preferably organic, on a budget.  Let me know how this recipe works out for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and share with me your journey to natural living. Any tips and suggestions are welcomed. If any posts are of an inappropriate nature not suitable for children to read, they will be removed promptly. Also, please do not spam or post links unless related to topic. You may share your blog address. Thank you.