Friday, May 10, 2013

Homemade Whole-Wheat Tea Cookies


So to start off my posts of homemade whole foods, I wanted to start with something sweet.  I will try to adapt this recipe with honey instead of sugar in the future because I want to use a less processed sweetener.  This recipe is for tea cookies which go great with milk like any cookie, but can also be eaten alongside fruit for a “healthier” dessert option.  Portion control is always key, especially when having dessert.  (That tends to be my weakness when it’s soooo good.)  These cookies don’t take very long to make, and they are delicious.

Homemade Whole-Wheat Tea Cookies


What you need:

  • 1 cup of pure, extra virgin, organic coconut oil (I used Nature’s Way EfaGold – it’s cold pressed so it leaves a slight coconut flavor in the cookies which I think is awesome!)
  • 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract (I used my organic Mexican vanilla I bought while in Cozumel.)
  • 1 cup organic sugar (I used Florida Crystals pure organic cane sugar – I hope to substitute honey for sugar in the near future.)
  • 1 egg (preferably free-range, organic eggs)
  • 2 ½ cups of whole-wheat pastry flour (I use Arrowhead Mills’ organic brand.)
  • 2 ½ teaspoons of cream of tartar
  • 1 ¼ teaspoons of baking soda

What you do:

  • Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  • Combine the flour with the cream of tartar and baking soda.  Mix well. 
  • In another bowl blend the coconut oil (not melted) with the vanilla extract, sugar, and egg.  Add in the flour mixture gradually.  (It made a very thick and crumbly dough for me so I just added a little water until it was the correct cookie dough texture.  You can also make this chocolate with pure cocoa, but it takes more water and another egg to hold together and be moist.)
  • Take teaspoon size balls of dough and roll them.  Place on a buttered or oiled cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes per pan.  Recipe makes about 40 cookies.

I hope you try this recipe and I look forward to hearing how they turned out for you!  I would like to post a new recipe each week so if you have any ideas send it in and I will try it out. 

Coming up soon: Why I chose to stop eating processed foods

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and share with me your journey to natural living. Any tips and suggestions are welcomed. If any posts are of an inappropriate nature not suitable for children to read, they will be removed promptly. Also, please do not spam or post links unless related to topic. You may share your blog address. Thank you.