Friday, May 24, 2013

Homemade Refried Beans



I love this recipe for homemade refried beans from The Prairie Homestead.  I was a bit skeptical at first because I thought it may take a lot of time, but it doesn’t if you prepare your beans ahead of time.  I used dry beans that I soaked and then cooked in the crock pot during the day.  When I got home, they were ready to be used.  My husband and I absolutely love this recipe AND the fact that it is homemade, from scratch.  I will never go back to canned beans.

Spreading these refried beans on tortillas is my favorite but you may like them so much that you can eat them plain with a spoon!  I made burritos with them, with sour cream, avocado, tomato, and a little salsa on a whole grain tortilla and they were wonderful.  It didn’t take very long and dinner was served!  The best part is that I know exactly what ingredients are in it.  When I look at the ingredients on a can of refried beans from the store, I don’t know why some are in there, and they are in a can which could possibly have Bisphenol A (a.k.a. BPA) in the lining.

A popular brand of refried beans contains these ingredients: Cooked beans, water, salt, tomato paste, partially hydrogenated lard, chili pepper, sugar, natural flavor, yeast extract.  What is the “natural flavor” and “yeast extract” exactly?  I don’t trust processed foods that don’t tell me where the “natural” flavoring is coming from.  That’s why there is a list of ingredients right?  It’s so you and I can know what’s really in there.  Opening a can of refried beans from the store and heating them up in the microwave may be quicker, but at what cost?  Convenience usually comes in the form of health problems later.  Also, those processed and canned beans could never come close to this awesome recipe!

I was so excited to cook these and I know you will be too once you try them.  They were so tasty and I know I’m eating good, wholesome food when I eat them.  So why don’t you go on over to The Prairie Homestead and try it out for yourself?  Click here for the homemade refried beans recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and share with me your journey to natural living. Any tips and suggestions are welcomed. If any posts are of an inappropriate nature not suitable for children to read, they will be removed promptly. Also, please do not spam or post links unless related to topic. You may share your blog address. Thank you.